One day in Samouha Hospital

Last week I took a history from middle aged female patient complaining of loss of urine output (anuria). From the general look she was highly obese. She was very helpful in cooperating with us taking the details and measuring the blood pressure. She even called her son on the phone to assist me on the history taking.

As I continued the sheet, her past history indicated she had multiple medical problems. She was positive with heart conditions and diabetes. As our Arabic vocabulary are quite limited, we didn't managed to understand everything she said, hence to came out with a provisional diagnosis. But we had some suggestions from reviewing the history we took, her complaint may be due to her uncontrolled diabetes. One even suspected lupus nephritis!

Then a moment later the doctor came. And suddenly everything changed. We were, and I, was wrong from the beginning. We failed to understand her real complaint, which was a vaginal discharge. It was caused by urinary tract infection causing suppressed immunity due to the drugs she took for her anuria. 'What common is common' rule.

So guys, mastering the language is pivotal! 80% of the diagnosis is from history taking. Deep. Apa kaitan.

As the doctor almost at the end of taking her history, she started to get emotional. I didn't get all of it, but I understood that she was depressed for her condition for so long that she could not take it anymore. Then the doctor soothed her and shared an ayah from the Quran, which after I checked again, reads like this;

إِنَّمَا يُوَفَّى الصَّابِرُونَ أَجْرَهُمْ بِغَيْرِ حِسَابٍ
"Indeed, those with patience will be given their reward without account."

She cried. Deep inside I also felt habuk tingling my heart.

It's true, right? Those who are patient in this world will be in much ease in the Akhirah.

Subhanallah. I thought, " senangnya makcik ni nak masuk syurga nanti. How about me?"

One day in Samouha Hospital.

Ulasan

Catatan popular daripada blog ini

The Legend of Kagutaba Village

Intifada al-Aqsa: Peristiwa, sebab dan kesan

The perks of doing elective posting.